My placement works with residents to benefit the community

RabMy name is Rabinder Lail and I am a Year 2 student on a Postgraduate Diploma with Professional Qualification in Youth work, Health and Community Development. To complete the course I have to carry out practice hours within my current workplace, which is a Family Support Worker for families with complex and multiple issues. Furthermore I have had to complete alternative hours within a different practice, therefore I have become involved with the De Montfort University Square Mile Project. For this placement I will be working with a local group of residents within the Newfoundpool Area in west end of the city. The Newfoundpool forum will look at utilising the local neighbourhood centre to host events and activities that brings the community together and also provides opportunities for local residents to get involved in informal learning.

Participating on the forum I hope to gain and develop skills in community development and working within new projects. The forum is still in its infancy, but we have had some brilliant ideas from the local residents that the Square Mile Project will support with and help to make it sustainable. The ideas brought forward have been:

• To give the front window of the neighbourhood centre a face lift and utilise the space to promote upcoming events and activities at the centre.
  • To start learning activities which help develop local residents.
  • To plan a Christmas Party for the local residents.
  • Community Cafes for people to attend from the local area.
  • Plus many more ideas to come at the next forum meetings.

This gives a brief oversight of what kind of work the Square Mile Project supports within the local community to develop and achieve positive outcomes for the local residents.