Volunteering through Square Mile helped student realise career path

‘What do you want to do when you finish uni?’ – The dreaded question for anyone who hasn’t quite got their life plan sorted out writes Square Mile primary school volunteer, Kelly Pearson. Every time I was asked this question along with the other feared questions like “So you haven’t got any plans after Uni?” and “How are you going to use your degree?” I could sense the disappointment coming.

At the time I was a second year student, gone were the days of being a fresher, I had to be serious. I had to look into potential career paths and somehow gain experience in that area – easier said than done. I hadn’t even entered ‘the real world’ and I was already lost, metaphorically speaking of course. Friends around me were busy getting placements, making contacts and plans for when they finished Uni. This would panic me even more. It was then that decided to sign up for DMU Square Mile, and I am so grateful to my panic ridden self for leading me there, for if it wasn’t for Square Mile, I would still be wondering around at a complete loss of what to do with my life.

And here’s why;

Through Square Mile I began volunteering at a local primary school – I chose project as I had previous experience of working with children. Each week, on a Wednesday afternoon I would go to the school and help out in the class room. I was there for about 8 weeks. It was within those 8 weeks that I decided I didn’t want to be a teacher. Let me explain, I enjoyed my time working there, the children were lovely  and I’m grateful to all the staff that helped and trained me, but there was always this nagging feeling that I hadn’t quite landed on my ‘dream job’.

So it was then that decided to start a blog. A blog on all things student related. A blog detailing my time at uni and the little luck I had in job hunting. Whilst moaning about my non-existent career path, I ironically stumbled across a potential career path. Suddenly, a life after Uni didn’t seem so daunting, I knew what I had to do, where to apply and what experience I would need to make this happen. When friends discussed their plans, I could join in – it was great, life after Uni no longer sent me into panic mode.

So when people ask me, “What do you want to do when you finish Uni?” I can confidently tell them, I want to become a writer.