Do you want to make a positive change to your local community? Help the environment and preserve wildlife? Then the Canal Clean-Up is for you!
Working with Canal & River Trust, students will transform the area surrounding the River Soar close to DMU campus under professional guidance. This project aims to have a positive impact on the local environment. Starting from mid-May, the canal clean-up will run from 1pm to 3pm every Wednesday for three weeks.
A member of staff from Canal & River Trust will help make sure the task is suited to your ability and be on hand throughout the session to provide help, advice and tea and biscuits. There will be various type of work including building bird house, removing litter from the river with the use of boat and painting the posts along the towpath.
This program is open to all DMU students.
The clean-up sessions are on the following dates – where you must attend all 3 sessions:
18th May 2016
25th May 2016
1st June 2016
Students who sign up to the project will receive:
- Free professional training
- Ongoing support and assistance from the Square Mile team
- Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR)
- Square Mile certificate to support achievements (*this can only be obtained after completion of our student experience evaluation)
What we expect of you:
- Be committed and passionate (expected to attend 4 out of the 6 of the sessions)
- Be polite and respectful of others
- Inform the project lead or placement contact if you are going to be late/unable to attend
- Talk to us if you feel there is more we could do to improve your experience
- Log your hours on a monthly basis
- Complete the experience evaluation at the end of the academic year
- Enjoy your Square Mile volunteering experience!
Yue Pang, an international Accounting and Finance student and canal clean-up volunteer said:
“My duty at this event was planting flowers along the river. The staff were so nice and gave lots of guidance. Shoveling for nearly three hours tired me a little, however I felt very happy. I’m looking forward to the seeds to grow into flowers. Can’t wait next time!”
Student Sign Up!
Do you want to make Leicester a better place? Do you want to improve the living environment of people and that of birds and fish? Act quickly!
All Square Mile volunteering hours can be logged online via MyGateway. You can log your hours weekly or monthly. It is essential that you keep track of all the hours you have contributed to Square Mile volunteering opportunities. Please ensure that you input all of your hours into the MyGateway form in order to receive your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) and Square Mile certificate of achievement.